Tuk-Tuk, What Have You Done Now? ~ No Travel Writer

Tuesday 14 February 2012

Tuk-Tuk, What Have You Done Now?


What was I going to do now? Shuffling back down Wireless Road with my head sunk and with no ideas I felt drained and depressed. Luck hadn't been on my side so far in this trip and I was desperately hoping that this wasn't a sign of things to come. Back at Cozy I sat slumped against the wall of my room and sobbed myself to sleep. Waking an hour later I still had no real clue about how to solve this, I had no phone and only five thousand bhat (£95) left. I knew I would have to change my flight so checked the AirAsia website but as the flight was less than 48 hours away I could not change it, the site did say however that there was an office in Bangkok. I began to perk up, there was hope. Waving a tuk-tuk down was easy and I was on my way to the office, I was feeling good again. We pulled up outside a tailors and the driver explained that if I went in and had a look round for five minutes he would get his free petrol. I pleaded with the him that I was in such a rush as the office shut in an hour but he was adamant. The tailors was plush and looked too expensive especially on my current budget. After five minutes I jumped back in and off we went. I remember exactly what he said.

“you buy?”
“No, too expensive.” I replied
“Why you no buy?”
“too expensive!” reiterating what I'd said
“where you go now?” he shouted

Suddenly he had no idea where Khao San Road was and within five minutes we were back at Hualampong station. Climbing out I gave him 10 baht and walked off in a huff. My tight budget and deadline made me hesitant to use a taxi so looked for another tuk-tuk. One relaxed looking driver beckoned me over and I told him where I wanted to go and that I definitely couldn't go to a tailors because I had no time. From nowhere he shouted “I attack you!” and came at me. Instantly I took off not knowing where to run, the train station now seemed like the best option.


Read From The Beginning

0 comments:

Post a Comment